Public Policy & Political Action
“There never will be complete equality until women themselves help to make laws and elect lawmakers.”
—Susan B. Anthony
- Maine Women’s Lobby-Education, public policy development, and advocacy around the core issues of economic security, health care and reproductive rights, civil rights, and freedom from violence have positioned the Maine Women’s Lobby as the leader on some of the most important issues of our time.
- The Penquis Law Project-Penquis works collaboratively with other community providers to offer civil legal assistance, housing, and support services to individuals who have experienced domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking.
- Center for the American Woman and Politics at Rutgers University-Nationally recognized as the leading source of scholarly research and current data about American women’s political participation, CAWPs mission is to promote greater knowledge and understanding about women’s participation in politics and government and to enhance women’s influence and leadership in public life.
- Maine’s NEW Leadership-NEW Leadership™ is CAWP’s national initiative to educate and empower the next generation of women leaders. NEW Leadership™ teaches college women the value of civic engagement and encourages them to see themselves as empowered leaders who can effectively participate in politics and public policy.
- Feminist Majority-The Feminist Majority Foundation works for social, political and economic equality for women by using research and education to improve women’s lives.
- The League of Women Voters-The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.